I had picked up some phenomena when I attended the UK revision classes.
1) UK lecturers are most of the time laid-back. They inject humour which is very relevant to the subject in discussion. This makes everything fun and easier to connect to. Local lecturers can't be comparable to them. They are most of the time stressed!!! The only time they joke are times to end class. Superficial? They teach for the sake of teaching? That's our culture for you.
2) Students don't respond when being asked a question. Sometimes, I really do have an urge to just shout out an answer, just to keep the lesson going. It's a waste of time when lecturers have to pause the lesson just to wait for an answer. We pay for these lessons. They arn't cheap! But I am just a typical SG student, I conform. If we are in poly, all of us will fail in our participation mark.
3) From the feedback given by the UK lecturers, students (SG students) don't think. We are so used to route learning that we have lost our common sense. Simple questions, yet we have to go a big round to answer them. Some even memorised answers and just threw out whatever they know without answering the question set.
4) Our education system is such a success in terms of the value punctuality that even the Director for LSE praised us for coming back from our breaks on time.
5) SG students are so rational that they copy WHATEVER the lecturer said. We are so efficient in copying that we can enter into the Book of World Records. For things that we couldnt catch, we effectively turned to our sides to see what others had written.
Jokes of the dayssss (sponsored by UK lecturers).....
Pronounciation matters:
SG: I've got two tits. Do you want to see them?
UK: oh no!!!
(the SG pax meant "I've got two kids. Do you want to see them? - takes out a photograph and show)
Same word. Different meanings:
SG: Do you want to go to the restroom?
UK: Is it a room for me to rest?
I cracked a joke about you cuz I know you too well:
UK: do you know why i always agree with (Director's name here. too sensitive. cant put it here)? Cuz it saves time.
Enjoyment was somewhat missing for a year of school. It is finally found in my four days of UK revision classes. Sad issnt it?
Thursday, April 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment